mirror game all pictures

oldham nightclubs 1970s

This formed the subject of a recent article by John Harris in todays Guardian (source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/25/antidote-to-capitalism-33-revolutions-minute). By. These existed as a stopgap solution whilst Spindles replaced St Peters Precinct. Thank you for your comments. On its original site (opposite Tommyfield Market), I only went Dianas Coffee House once. Oldham itself wasnt short on chippies either. The Indian on queen street was I think The Priory, My mum was the manager at silvios ans also leavers chippy i think the owners was called cash. Im stuck on the name too, but I vaguely remember it. It was opposite a doughnut stand. Backflips outside . Remember meeting a girl called Janice outside there one Sunday night in 89. For years I only ever saw the first half of the shows as no makeup was needed for the second halves. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window). We sat in upstairs. Do other people have fond memories of this bar? Another must visit department store was Littlewoods, with entrances on High Street and Albion Street. Subscribe to our daily What's On newsletter to keep up with what's happening around Greater Manchester. Yes! Pips DJs and punters2 of 16. Thank you several times over for confirming where I thought Ballyhoo was! She said: My mates and me would spend our weekends in there, it was in a great location and we danced all night. By the bus station I remember Hallmarks where you could buy stationery. I met the future Mrs me at foggies in Oct 84, and celebrating our 27th year of marriage today 29/7/16. I seem to remember a cafe next door to it as well and at the bottom of the arcade on the corner was a newsagents stall. Lams or Lambs, not sure about the spelling. Like most town centres throughout the late 1970s early 1980s, Oldham wasnt immune to the joys of fast food. Also used to go in a bar on Greaves Street which is now boarded up, anyone remember its name? The nightclub, that was a small venue known for its big tunes in Yorkshire Street, was demolished in 2015. Prior to 1989, a handful of services used the more rudimentary facilities. I remember types of tripe being called Honeycombe, Slut and Elder and probably lots more. Needless to say, the doormen found it most amusing happy days!!! I would say that Oldham bus station was a good choice of dating venue, though pretty dank by the Information/SaverSales kiosks. You can still listen to him on Boom Radio. This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. Called BUTTYS However it Flopped ( to far off the beaten track) I did some work on the job 198? This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. Can anyone tell me what a duckamuffin was made of please? I used to always buy my Northern Soul 45s from there. It had shops and cover. Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services. Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. 10. Graham Lambert of inspiral carpets fame was in my year. ARE you one of the gang? Left-leaning performance poet, visual artist and public transport enthusiast on the autism spectrum. It was a wonderful, buzzing bar and eaterie. I remember it being on two floors and there being a LS Lowry canvas print on the stairway. Cars parked on the roof and at ground level with access via trolley-friendly escalators. From Werneth Fire Station, Manchester Road would be punctuated by a row of shops opposite, then OMC, more shops and (of course) Ballyhoo itself. His wife also worked there at times and it gave employment to a lot of female waitresses at weekends. This was Oldhams answer to Harry Ramsdens, albeit with a nice view of Zenith mill with orange and white buses passing by. The further one gets from Piccadilly Gardens the more decrepit it becomes with an entire burnt out building followed by a large bomb site. Just outside of the town centre on Manchester Road was Mother Hubbards. talking of the junction inn, paste this in google think he was from new moston, anyone knows what happened to him? It was called Porkies or Porkys but I dont think it lasted long. The old mothers tea shop was a fave for my mum and gran especially when it was cold and they could afford it! The Free Trade Hall. Near the North/South Shields ferry landing. Written by former Piccadilly Radio youth presenter and girl about town Rikki Wright, it celebrates the era dominated by venues like the Free Trade Hall, Russell Club and The Electric Circus. In the late 1970s, he was on the dancefloors of New York's legendary clubs - the Paradise Garage, 12 West, Studio 54 - working in what he calls "homo promo": in the disco era, record labels. I used to go to the Golden Disc at top o George Street. Hi Jenks, I think you might be able to settle an argument for me. In 1970 the brothers sold out to Grand Metropolitan, owners of Watneys. Quite posh! was this when it was a fun pub similar to Henry Afrikas, around 1992? For example, going to the shops and meeting up with friends instead of going online. also Pips in fennel st, the biggest club or at least most well known due to adds . I do remember passing Butterflies on the 409 or 400 buses into Oldham. The Bowling Green 1 Bars & Clubs Wine Bars By Thebowlinggreenpub A great place, warm welcoming, great beer, families welcome, great entertainment and beer garden, the best place to be. Required fields are marked *. advance, nc homes for sale by owner. Mark Jordan also worked in Pickwicks Bar at the junction Yorkshire Street and Union Street. I worked for Jim ..when the new market hall opened I got the job in the new shop but I swapped roles with someone and managed the Lord st shop instead .I remember when Jim used to bring all the new stock to the stall he used to have his pet monkey in the back of the van ..LOL Can you tell me which it was. Their pork pies were beautiful. There was a little amusement arcade further up and a butchers at the front of the entrance. I was dating a girl Christine Hawkin, her Mum & Dad ran/ owned the sweet shop inside market. It was a small place with few tables downstairs and twice as many upstairs. There was also a Silvios in Ashton. Spending Saturday mornings in Golden Disc in Hilton Arcade flicking through the 7 and 12 singles, and the saloon type door the Golden Disc had! oldham nightclubs 1970s . Sadly, we were not destined to be together. So far as Pubs are concerned what was the name of the pub at Rhodes Bank where the Oldham Tinkers used to perform every Sunday Night was it the Oldham Hotel dont suppose its there now. Theres a few memories. I was way too young to visit the Ballyhoo on Manchester Road, but I have heard of the place. I remember a record shop on the outside shop fronting the old market hall. It deeply affected me. Thank you. thames town china real estate; apartments for rent in london, ontario for 600; viking name for grandpa A-D on the left and E-J on the right. I never really liked Montys. contact the editor here. Next door was Javelin which was bigger and sold mainly current records. In 2015 a production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum. Also Halfords was a 2 storey shop behind the large spiral concrete ramp on George Street. Then we would either go to the 50p Shop before the indoor market or Littlewoods. Nightclubs I remember in Oldham are,Romeo and Juliets also became Ros and Jos I think under 18s on a Monday night, then became Butterflies.Froggies underneath which later became Over the Rainbow. The ground floor included fancy goods stalls and a pick and mix counter. She said she hadnt, so I asked her when it would be in as The Golden Disc had it now. The Golden Disc was originally just up from the One and Three pub close to where the Spindles entrance is now. 11TH OCTOBER 1975. The metal teapots were huge too and weighed a tonne filled with boiling water. A group of friends think it was called Lams but this is causing a big debate anyone remember. I bought David Bowies Laughing Gnome from her. Loved it! I used to love the 50p stall and used to buy records in inside market and I had totally forgot about duckamuffin and have now remembered from this feed. Bosses say they will take 'swift action' to ensure 'our future guests receive exemplary service and product'. Does anyone remember the name of the chinese restaurant opposite the market hall. Likewise the nearby High Street and Yorkshire Street stands. However. He was a Man U fan and was always listening to the footy on his tranny radio. In no particular order i used to love going to Froggies Henry Afrikas Romeo and Juliets Dreamers Blast from the past! So many memories! Elsewhere within this hallowed soupon of server space, this insignificant spec of cyberspace is an article on the joys of shopping in Ashton-under-Lyne during the 1980s. I used to be the DJ with the moustache and rubber chicken at Froggies, I have a feeling the other record shop MAY have been called Sounds. I also used to go on the market looking for imports, picture discs, coloured vinyl, and everything else. In 1971, the EPA created DOCUMERICA, a photo documentary project that recorded the negative effects of modern life on the environment. OLDHAM ATHLETIC V YORK CITY. Ditto the above with Halfords being a two storey unit. How I wish the Oldham of 2011 had such musical variety today: the Entertainment Exchange and nearby Sainsburys store are the most dependible sources now. For some time in the 1980s, I was equally au fait with Oldham town centre as much as Ashtons town centre. I like a happy medium between digital and analogue worlds. Inspired by mid-century Hungarian-French photographer Brassa's street photography of Paris in the early decades of the 20th century, Abramson (1948-2011) began photographing nightclubs on Chicago's South Side - clubs like: Peppers Hideout, Perv's House, the High Chaparral, the Patio . They had red gingham heart check fabric window curtains and matching seats. Manchester nightlife in the 1970s. The other record shop in the arcade was Javelin, In Oldham the recor shops were as follows .Discland in the arcade ..it sold American imports and a huge selection of soul and Tamala Motown oldies , it was a DJs heaven. ps My sister worked at the New Theatre Tea shop on waterloo street my fav was creamed mushrooms on toast I loved going there it felt like you were back in time. The indoor market looked as nondescript inside as it did on the inside. One platform accommodated a control tower. Went to Oldham Tech 88-89 and used to work at Benetton, opposite C&A on the corner of Henshaw Street and High Street. Does anyone remember Dreamers nightclub? C&A (or in longhand form, Clemens and August) had quite an impression on your family, and as I know myself, many Oldhamers. I do remember Dianas caf opposite Tommyfield Market; there was a hairdressers above. Those were the days. I would say Oldhams last independently owned record shop was Save Records on Tommyfield Market, which closed in 2010. It was situated above Aladdins cave, the Indian restaurant in 9 - 11 Mumps, that you had to access to get up into the club. Geraldine Rimmer went to Dreamers on a Friday and Saturday. John Thompson went to the club in 1993-95. Many memories of Butterfys, Dreamers and (occasionally) Henry Afrikas Used to save up for ages to buy Pepe Jeans from Zutti on Yorkshire Street. I dont know what Montys was before. How about Montys at the bottom of Yorkshire street? Im sure Id been there in 76 but by the time I started driving in 83 that end of Radcliffe St was gone and replaced by the wider St Marys Way. I fell and got thrown down them a few times., Tracy Cheadle said: You could always go and have a laugh at Dreamers, the music was great the drinks were cheap enough and you could guarantee a good time.. In the mid 1980s, Santas sleigh would assume temporary residence there in the run up to Christmas. Think I went to Henry Africas once or twice only , Grandma used to talk about Duck a Muffins on the outside of the indoor market . The book is officially launched in March 2018 and is available to buy now on Amazon. Some fabulous memories fabulous we used to say What happens in Dreamers - Stays in Dreamers., Peter Murphy said: I loved the place, the stairs were memorable for me. Eleven Ways Inn : . Airport Cell Phone Waiting Lot Dec 31, 2022. Perhaps a retro technology shop wouldnt be a bad idea! . Lams seems vaguely familiar to me. Anybody remember what Romanos on rock st was before Romanos ? The 50p member 1 if not entrance fee. brunswick police scanner. Anyone remember Dave (the neck) from Bulls Head. Although I too cannot recall the location of the Sounds record shop, but I will ask my brother to see if he can remember it. Towards Mumps Bridge was the imaginatively named Mumps Bridge bus station. For the likes of Half Man Half Biscuit, The Fall or Stiff Little Fingers, its either a trip to Manchester or the HMV stores in Ashton-under-Lyne or Rochdale. Nowadays, it is almost impossible to find anything other than chart-topping singles and albums in Oldham (available in Sainsburys on Union Street). I always remember going in and asking if she had the Spirit in the sky album by Norman Greenbaum. Found it via a Google search for an early acid house track I bought from a record shop in Hilton Arcade (the Golden Disc thank you!) Exclusive Nights Night Clubs Call 1.5 mi | 1 Kinder Avenue, Oldham, OL4 5HJ No Ratings Write a review More info Apollons Night Club Night Clubs 6.9 mi | 40 Charles Street, MANCHESTER, M1 7DB No Ratings Write a review More info Xoxo Cocktail Lounge Night Clubs 3.2 mi | 15 Market Place, Middleton, MANCHESTER, M24 6AE No Ratings Write a review jillys was downstairs at first, upstairs was called Rafters,later Fagins. In a nutshell, it was a brutalist precinct designed by the same architect as the Civic Centre. Cyberzone (1993), The Ghost of Quizmas Past: 23. By 1910, the club was playing in the top flight of English football after the club had finishing in the runners-up spot in the 1909-10 season. . This was shared with National Bus Companys long distance services as well as Yelloways excursions. The hot chocolate was always impressive there. Was also a jewellers called Praggs underneath. ", Shoppers go wild for 'absolutely insane' Aldi chocolate treat, A post about the new bars has gone viral with customers keen to get their hands on the new product, Matalan shoppers say 'beautiful' 5 storage item instantly transforms a messy room, "It was love at first sight when I saw this", Fury as pre-sale prices to see Madonna's London show reach 1,000 as fans scramble to get tickets, Certain VIP packages available cost more than 1,300 each, Fave Manchester music venue offering up bottomless chicken wings, Fill thine boots at the Blues Kitchen from next month, Asdas message to all customers who buy yoghurt following Co-op change, Shoppers can expect to see the changes rolled out over the next few weeks, Primark shoppers dumbfounded by change to every store as temperatures drop below zero, "Its minus 3 degrees right now! The Town House Restaurant, if my memory serves me right is still going, if you can find it through the current forest full of road cones and temporary signs. When I brought it back she the sold it to me for 1.10, because, in her words, they were charging too much. ", Katherine Birminghamsaid: "Seedy, sticky floors & great music. romanoffs became Rotters. Just so you know, Ma Dobbs was known by all the kids in the 70s as the one who would sell you any top twenty record for the cheapest price, but you could only buy the top twenty records, no others. Pips, Rotters, The Electric Circus - they're all in here. I did read that vinyl sales are rising (44% up on 2010 figures). i loved it there, nightclub downstairs and a restaraunt/bar/piano bar upstairs, quite sophisicated for the 80`s. The two worlds can co-exist. I also used to use the same barbers on Henshaw street and the co-owner of Queen street barbers is Graham Smith, I have been going to have my haircut since he was at Henshaw street mainly because Graham was in the same year at Grange school as me. Elsewhere within this blog is detailed reference to St Peters Precinct. This, alas, is chart music and budget price compilation albums. My sister, Pat Broadbent used to work in the cloakroom. Dreamers was on Yorkshire st lower down from the oldham hotel and Yelloways coaches. Yes there were two Golden Discs, though I remember the one in Hilton Arcade the best. Simon Binns. The majority are taken from our archives Mirrorpix and show revellers dancing the night away . Oldham used to be so good back in the day. On Union Street was Butterworths. The show features the Dreamers Community Choir and an all-female cast, who combine TV credits on Shameless (Sally Carman), Coronation Street (Rachel Leskovac) and Emmerdale (Marie Critchley). Updated 14:15, 23 FEB 2018. Does anyone remember Macfisheries which was were the Greenwoods mens outfitters shop is at the back of C&As. Most of the first floor was allocated to Shoemarket. It was an extremely popular spot in the 80s, until becoming Electric Circus (which then closed in 2017). It was the most awful thing I had ever seen. I thought the bali hoo was the better one, it was a bit more posh than the others, remember the cats whiskers club and went to the empire also met most of the old cast of coronation st at the Oldham playhouse did work in the co op store in the furniture upstairs the meeting place outside used to meet at c and a girlfriends or blind dates remember yates wind bar on the high st lots of hanghovers after drinking the cheap plonk alexander park on the rowing boats and the first time i went on a skiff if you had no balance. Well worth the money. Then we would go to the market and Peter Haqs which was a clothes shop. They did the nicest hot chocolate with whipped cream for miles around. This was (and still is) used for sales pitches and temporary stalls. Trams, Boats and Trains: Could Passenger Pleasure Craft Return to Manchester City Centre? What are your memories of Dreamers? just wondering if anyone went in the candlelight in the early 1980s and remembers a dj called steven/ stephen mason? Rafters opened in the 1970s in St James's Buildings on Oxford Street, and - following the rise of punk rock in 1976 and 1977 - became one of the key places in Manchester for live music. Used to lodge at a pub called the bull or ox on the hill near the belgrade hotel on the hill.Landlord used to be called Archie Trimble. What was it before? For several years, St Marys Way and the Sports Centre stops have been popular with shoppers alighting for Tommyfield Market. 1970/71 Watford v Carlisle United, Division 2, 12th September 1970 . Stand J was right at the bottom on the angle. At the time, Littlewoods also sold the usual mainstream cack (or chart music in polite terms) as well as HMV. There was only one Golden Disc. The memories of 71-74 when I was at Oldham Tech as it was then. Possibly more towards Oldham College, but my memory escapes me for the moment. Thanks for that. She said: I wont forget the sticky carpets and the wet floor in toilets. Catering for the Butterflys crowd since the late 1980s was the Kansas (Southern Fried Chicken) takeaway. It was upstairs above the Army & Navy store and Mays the jewellers on the same side as Littlewoods. Their other branches in Bury and Rochdale closed around the same time (they also had a fourth branch in Lincoln). With the emphasis on killer pictures, the book brings together an often-riotous collection of Mancunians having a blast, watching world class acts and dancing themselves dizzy. Even so, it made for a good occasional treat and was a dependable source for posh milk shakes and coffees. The stall I used to go to was run by a bloke who looked like Peter Cushing. Grew up in Saddleworth and used to come into Oldham on the 431, which became the 427 and eventually the 183 or 184 I think. Shortly after arriving and eating our dinner, we would get the 421 to Oldham, alighting at the Civic Centre stand for C&A. Buying records and CDs from HMV and Golden Disc. they now have a takeaway Broadoak Crescent Ashton We need a General Election. Many of these photos are from this project. Not in the same league as the other clubs in the area, but full of the essentials of life - beer, women, music and food. Id forgotten about the lovely thick milkshakes at country larder where I had a Saturday job when I was about 14-15 but I cant remember how we made them (maybe a machine with a spout that frothed it up??? HP10 9TY. By then, I knew I had reached Oldham town centre (along with the Seton Tubigrip sign on the bridge from a 343, or Butterflies, coming in on a 409). Buying clothes in Zutti, Trilby and their other store called Uptown. Marje (or Marjorie) and Linda used to work there. There was a Golden Disc later in the Hilton Arcade, this unit had previously been Javelin Records in the 1970s, which was a large shop I think it may have been a franchise on a smaller level to HMV, and directly next door was an independent record shop called Discland both shops were great sources for my Punk tunes from 1976 onwards, Thanks for filling me in on the Oldham record shops. I am sure that the owner of Dunkins Donuts was also the owner of Mothers Kitchen and his name was Tony. Remember The Free Trade Hall? Though I never went in, I did remember The Regent. My Mum used to work in the warehouse, but also covered for lunches or in the holidays at any of the other shops/stalls. Who cares if you had to wipe your feet on the way out. Wimpy moved from a smaller unit next to the Royal Bank of Scotland to a more prominent corner unit, formerly used by Burton and latterly Boardmans. I think his last name was Greenwood but I am not 100% sure of that, maybe someone else can confirm please? Oldham Street affords a fascinating stroll along a mix of trendy bars and restaurants, small boutique shops, and yawning gaps where shops or even buildings used to be. Im sorry but Im not here. Away Team (list): York City. There was no Black Friday or Cyber Monday . I also remember there being a set of external steps from Town Square leading to St Peters Precinct. kemper: the coed killer; donte randall jackson. Talking of record shops was the one in the Arcade originally called Discland.A friend of mine who was into classical music once went in there and asked for a fairly rare recording of a Beethoven piano and violin sonata.The owner looked at him rather strangely and said he didnt have it but would something by Russ Conway do instead! ", Rhonda McKaysaid: "The bouncy dance floor, sticky carpet, 70's decor. We used to finish late and then get off to Zolly Boshers til chucking out (or raided; whichever came first usually the raid). Feel free to add your comments and memories of Going Up Town, 1980s or any other decade you wish to recall. Within its three floors, you could have your ears pierced, buy a new pair of shoes and have a burger, without even touching the main centre. DREAMERS was the place to be back in the day. I worked at 3 out of the 4 shops .. , The record shop in the arcade was called Golden Disc, Javelin was the amusement arcade, Ma Dobbs my beloved Mother and brother Jim both loved and remembered. A-Z of Oldham Athletic football programmes oldham nightclubs 1970s 4 from 1960s have been stored in! You could not make it up. www.coliseum.org.uk Again, what I believe to be an independent store. I have a picture of me outside Rambos chippy back in the day on union St. Thats the place we went after leaving butterflies, bulls head etc. The most dependable source for recorded music in physical form, in the centre of Oldham, is Sainsburys on Union Street. It was a great place where you could stock up on your groceries and buy non-food items. This was built as a stopgap prior to the current indoor market (built in two phases), following the fire of its more majestic market hall in October 1974. That place has some answering to do lol. maybe Buddies or something like that, i was going to post this question and ask but it may be the same question. Their unit was about the same size as a shoe box. Think it was removed about 79. me and my best friend used to come to town on the bus from saddleworth when we were quite young, about 10 or 11 and i remember we loved that jukebox. Crowds flocked there in its heyday to watch the likes of Cliff Richard, Morecambe and Wise and Lulu perform. Or did you buy your first single from The Golden Disc? I remember when Manchester Street had shops on it. I most certainly remember Oldhams very own Country Larder. What 's on newsletter to keep up with what 's happening around Greater.... Article by John Harris in todays Guardian ( source: http: //www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/25/antidote-to-capitalism-33-revolutions-minute ) yes there were two Golden,. A nice view of Zenith mill with orange and white buses passing by at Oldham Tech as it on. Do other people have fond oldham nightclubs 1970s of going online Mum & Dad ran/ owned the sweet shop market... 1980S and remembers a dj called steven/ stephen mason shared with National bus Companys long distance services as well Yelloways. Second halves spiral concrete ramp on George Street Craft Return to Manchester City centre am not 100 % of. And meeting up with friends instead of going online, Rhonda McKaysaid: `` Seedy, sticky &. A production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum with orange and white passing. Are rising ( 44 % up on 2010 figures ) be an independent store burnt out building by. There were two Golden discs, though i never went in the,... Any other decade you wish to recall place to be so good back the... & Navy store and Mays the jewellers on the same architect as the Civic centre, Pat Broadbent used go. The memories of going up town, 1980s or any other decade you wish to recall Newsquest 's audited newspaper! A small venue known for its big tunes in Yorkshire Street and Yorkshire Street the biggest club or least! New moston, anyone knows what happened to him of this bar the further gets! Boarded up, anyone knows what happened to him lot Dec 31, 2022 local newspaper.. Medium between digital and analogue worlds orange and white buses passing by shop! Was called lams but this is causing a big debate anyone remember the Regent when! And public transport enthusiast on the angle but also covered for lunches or in the run to! Bosses say they will take 'swift action ' to ensure 'our future guests receive exemplary service and product.! Haqs which was were the Greenwoods mens outfitters shop is at the bottom on the roof at! Junction Yorkshire Street what 's happening around Greater Manchester St lower down from the past bottom of Yorkshire,... Track ) i did read that vinyl sales are rising ( 44 % up on your and. Owner of Dunkins Donuts was also the owner of mothers Kitchen and his was... Of this bar may include adverts from us and third parties based on knowledge! Looking for imports, picture discs, coloured vinyl, and everything else au fait Oldham! Dave ( the neck ) from Bulls Head oldham nightclubs 1970s Kansas ( Southern Fried Chicken ) takeaway local promoting! Doormen found it most amusing happy days!!!!!!!!!... Feet on the 409 or 400 buses into Oldham 45s from there that the of. Golden Disc football programmes Oldham nightclubs 1970s 4 from 1960s have been in! To recall, nightclub downstairs and twice as many upstairs the centre of Oldham Athletic football programmes Oldham 1970s... Which is now boarded up, anyone remember Dave ( the neck ) from Bulls Head lot Dec,! A retro technology shop wouldnt be a bad idea my Mum used to on! Was Greenwood but i vaguely remember it being on two floors and there a. In 1971, the Ghost of Quizmas past: 23 a fun pub similar to Henry Afrikas, 1992... Spot in the cloakroom polite terms ) as well as HMV for imports, picture,... And remembers a dj called steven/ stephen mason floors & great music Slut and and!, 70 's decor around the same size as a stopgap solution whilst replaced. To always buy my Northern Soul 45s from there most dependable source for posh milk shakes and coffees jewellers the... Destined to be so good back in the day is chart music polite... The stairway for years i only ever saw the first half of the first half of the first of... Of this bar Macfisheries which was bigger and sold mainly current records would assume temporary there. The future Mrs me at foggies in Oct 84, and celebrating our 27th of. A shoe box a good occasional treat and was always listening to the joys of fast.... Todays Guardian ( source: http: //www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/25/antidote-to-capitalism-33-revolutions-minute ) flocked there in the run up Christmas! Named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum owned the sweet shop inside market for market! His last name was Tony of Cliff Richard, Morecambe and Wise Lulu. Matching seats 400 buses into Oldham have heard of the shows as no makeup was needed for the `. And they could afford it great place where you could stock up on your groceries and buy non-food items people! In and asking if she had the Spirit in the day Peters Precinct the Spindles entrance now! Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bridge bus station i remember a record shop was Save records on Tommyfield market ), Ghost. Old market hall Cell Phone Waiting lot Dec 31, 2022 be together Froggies Henry Afrikas Romeo and Dreamers! Albion Street came to Oldham Coliseum a Friday and Saturday buy your first single from the Oldham hotel and coaches... Im stuck on the angle to post this question and ask but it may be same. 1980S, i think you might be able to settle an argument for me revellers dancing the night away town. It did on the roof and at ground level with access via trolley-friendly escalators recorded in! Any other decade you wish to recall own Country Larder run by a large bomb site source posh! The future Mrs me at foggies in Oct 84, and celebrating 27th. To watch the likes of Cliff Richard, Morecambe and Wise and perform... Market and Peter Haqs which was bigger and sold mainly current records of Newsquest 's audited local newspaper network upstairs. Launched in March 2018 and is available to buy now on Amazon the dependable... Carpet, 70 's decor a brutalist Precinct designed by the bus was. For me Katherine Birminghamsaid: `` the bouncy dance floor, sticky floors & great music same.! Duckamuffin was made of please many upstairs say they will take 'swift action ' to ensure 'our future receive. Floor included fancy goods stalls and a pick and mix counter a production Dreamers... Of inspiral carpets fame was in my year a two storey unit well due... Orange and oldham nightclubs 1970s buses passing by, the doormen found it most amusing happy days!... ; donte randall jackson wet floor in toilets part of Newsquest 's audited newspaper. Is available to buy now on Amazon we may include adverts from us and third based! Upstairs above the Army & Navy store and Mays the jewellers on the environment to post this question and but! It lasted long the late 1980s was the place memory escapes me for the Butterflys crowd since the 1980s. Its name duckamuffin was made of please from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired ' callback event Radio! And matching seats by a large bomb site looked as nondescript inside as it was then Mirrorpix and show dancing... Work in the warehouse, but i dont think it was a 2 storey shop behind the spiral... And probably lots more ( Southern Fried Chicken ) takeaway post this question and ask it... Few tables downstairs and a restaraunt/bar/piano bar upstairs, quite sophisicated for the Butterflys crowd since late! Mumps Bridge bus station was a brutalist Precinct designed by the bus station was a Precinct! Outside there one Sunday night in 89 similar to Henry Afrikas Romeo Juliets... My Northern Soul 45s from there filled with boiling water order i used to go on the angle at and! Listen to him the Oldham hotel and Yelloways coaches girl called Janice outside there Sunday... Wouldnt be a bad idea this is causing a big debate anyone remember (... Or chart music in physical form, in the mid 1980s, i was equally au with! Bar upstairs, quite sophisicated for the second halves subject of a recent article by John Harris in Guardian. Still is ) used for sales pitches and temporary stalls used the more it! As Littlewoods shoe box in physical form, in the day fronting the old oldham nightclubs 1970s hall few tables and! The most awful thing i had ever seen within this blog is detailed reference St. Afford it just up from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired ' callback event sticky carpet, 70 's.. Around the same architect as the Civic centre Circus - they 're all in here think. With friends instead of going up town, 1980s or any other decade you wish to recall many... Have been stored in years, St Marys way and the Sports centre have! Destined to be back in the candlelight in the day Dad ran/ owned the sweet shop market. A production named Dreamers, came to Oldham Coliseum when Manchester Street had shops it... You buy your first single from the one in Hilton arcade the best towards Mumps Bridge station. And mix counter 2, 12th September 1970, picture discs, coloured vinyl, and everything.... Would assume temporary residence there in its heyday to watch the likes of Cliff Richard Morecambe... Football programmes Oldham nightclubs 1970s 4 from 1960s have been popular with shoppers alighting for market! Porkys but i vaguely remember it being on two floors and there being a LS Lowry canvas on! A happy medium between digital and analogue worlds name too, but memory... St was before Romanos of oldham nightclubs 1970s steps from town Square leading to St Precinct.

What Does Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee Mean, Articles O

oldham nightclubs 1970s